Monday, April 27, 2015

Makimono in Ajax - Japanese Restaurant with Some Unique Dishes

Makimono is one of the earliest Japanese restaurants in Ajax, and for a long time it has been serving an all-you-can-eat buffet. It appears that most Japanese restaurants in Durham region, or at least in Ajax, are desired mostly for their all-you-can-eat buffets.




And it was time, after a long pause, to visit Makimono again. I noticed that there have been some changes in the menu and in the way the orders are taken. Gone are the days when you were given a long sheet to jot down the items you wanted; it has been replaced by an iPad-based app that allows you to choose what you want. There were also new dishes.

One of the first dishes I tried was the baked mussels with sauce. It was warm and the flesh fused really well with the sauce.

Another dish I tried was the cold mussel with wasabi sauce on top. The wasabi sauce was not too strong to kill the taste of the fresh mussel.

I usually go for just one hand-roll and rarely for the other type of rolls, except if I feel they may have a good one such as the soft shell crab roll varieties.


The sushi and sashimi were decent and pretty fresh. But I was surprised that the hand-roll was not served in the usual hand-roll holder and was just laid on the plate.

For fans of 'authentic Japanese food' this is not the place, but it has decent food and I will visit again to taste some of my favourite items.



No comments:

Post a Comment